Friday, August 24, 2012

: Intro :



Soooooooo..."Parsing Yoga" is the blog I will be using to express my thoughts and understandings of this class. Hopefully, my posts will interest some of you and/or offer some other perceptions that you, yourself, had not originally come across through the class practice and readings.

A little bit about me:

My name is Brooke Martinez. I live in Rowlett, TX (45 min. east of Dallas) and love taking trips home to see my family and puppy. I'm super chill, and pretty shy. But like anybody says, "once you get to know me, I'm pretty fun". I am a senior majoring in Architecture and although I would love to graduate this upcoming spring with my fellow classmates, my major requires me to continue taking my 5th year of college at Washington University in St. Louise, Missouri. All by myself. :(

I'm not really a huge blogger/computer person, so this experience will be fairly new and somewhat challenging. (I can't even keep up with Facebook/Twitter/ or person texting on my phone.) I originally took this Capstone because it was the only one that worked with my schedule. I have to admit, at first, I was really sad to not be able to take a class with Tatum. I took a class with him for the first time of my BIC career last semester and really liked his teaching style and character. He was awesome.

SO, when I signed up for this course, I was already in bad spirits--anything with the word PHILOSOPHY in the title reminds me of that God-awful Social World class I took a few years ago; I felt like I learned nothing in that class when that semester ended. -_-

Once Dr. Schultz put the syllabus on BlackBoard for us during the summer, I was pretty excited to see that instead of talking about philosophy every class day for 50-75 min and practicing yoga for 15-20 min, the course was, in fact, the other way around. I have never had the chance to practice yoga before, let alone, think about the philosophy that corresponds with it. Being able to learn yoga techniques and actually understand what it means is pretty exciting for me. I know it sounds cheesy but at the end of this semester I hope to appreciate life more. From what I've heard, yoga isn't easy to master. It requires strength, persistence, practice, patience, and understanding. I'm pretty sure that if I can actually learn to use these skills together for the yoga practice, I can obtain an understanding as to how to use these skills properly in the "outside world".

I guess we'll have to see where I end up in a few months!

2 comments:

  1. Brooke, You are really funny. I'm excited to follow you on your journey in yoga, and I hope you enjoy it! Yoga can definitely be challenging, but it's also extremely rewarding. Hopefully, we can get through the philosophy part of this course together , haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just fyi, I can barely read your post on that dark background. Maybe I need to adjust the brightness setting on the computer. Anyways, I agree with you about Social World. That class was murderous. I'm very excited about this course though. I also expected this course to be less "hands-on." I was pleased to learn that we would be spending more of our class time actually practicing yoga. Yoga is very interesting, and I think that this course might turn out to be one of my favorite BIC courses.

    ReplyDelete